Benefits of Volunteering
Volunteering at Fairview Southdale Hospital in Edina, Minnesota offers rewards which may include:
- Meal vouchers
- Opportunities to attend workshops, health screenings and other events
- Fairview Pharmacy and gift shop discounts
- Free Parking
- Health Sciences Library access
- Discounted sports or entertainment tickets
- Junior Volunteer-Potential opportunity to earn a scholarship
Adult Volunteer Application Instructions
- Submit an online application or request an application packet.
- Provide reference names and their contact information as part of the application process.
- Complete a screening interview.
- Complete the online orientation, background check, health screening, and department specific trainings.
Junior Volunteer Application Instructions
Junior volunteers are between the ages of 14-18 and attend high school. The volunteer shifts are:
- Monday-Friday 3:15-6:00 p.m.
- Saturday - 8:00 a.m.-12:00 p.m. or 12:00-4:00 p.m.
- Sunday - 8:00 a.m.-12:00 p.m. or 12:00-4:00 p.m.
The junior volunteer program is extremely competitive, thus not all students who apply and interview will be accepted.
Junior Volunteer Application
Frequently Asked Questions
1. How long does the volunteer application process typically take?
The application and screening process typically takes three to four weeks. The minimum age to volunteer is 14. We ask that the junior volunteer applications are submitted by December 31st and typically begin interviews in February for the upcoming spring/summer session.
2. What is volunteer training?
Volunteers complete three training shifts with an experienced volunteer. Additional training shifts may be scheduled as needed.
3. Are there costs involved?
Students under 18 must get immunization records and tuberculosis screening (Mantoux test) through their own health care provider or community clinic. Fees may apply. Contact Volunteer Services for more information on medical clearance requirements. Adults needing varicella (chicken pox) vaccine, as determined by EOHS, complete this requirement through their own health care provider or community clinic.
4. Do I need medical experience or training?
No, all the training you will need is provided.
5. What volunteer positions are available?
We offer volunteer placement in up to 45 areas based on your interest, abilities and availability.
6. Do I have to volunteer a minimum of hours?
A volunteer usually works four hours weekly. Typical shifts are:
7. Where can current volunteers access VICNet?
- 8:00 a.m.-12:00 p.m., 12:00 p.m.-4:00 p.m., or 4:00-8:00 p.m.
Log on to your VICNet account: Access Vicnet.
8. How do I contact volunteer services at Fairview Southdale Hospital?
For additional information call 952-924-5020.