Gastroenterology at Fairview Maple Grove Medical Center

Expert help for digestive problems

Digestion issues of any kind can easily affect your quality of life. It can be especially frustrating if you're in pain, but can't figure out what the problem is.

University of Minnesota Physicians bring expert specialty care to you at Fairview Maple Grove Medical Center. Our specialists are caring and consistently ranked as a top provider in gastroenterology by U.S. News & World Report. Patients like you are enjoying their careful attention and access to our full spectrum of services. These include advanced diagnosis and care, clinical trials and breakthrough treatments.

From simple to rare – we have you covered
Our board-certified physicians have the expertise needed to treat conditions from simple to complex. These range from stomach pain, severe diarrhea, chronic heartburn and indigestion to challenging issues such as Irritable Bowel Disorder (IBD), Crohn's Disease, pancreatic and C. difficile infection.

Leading the way in treating C. difficile
In fact, when it comes to C. difficile, one of the leading doctors to research and use fecal transplants to treat patients with recurrent infections. Alexander Khoruts, MD, a gastroenterologist, has performed more than 150 fecal transplants here in Maple Grove. The transplant is performed during a colonoscopy under light sedation in our Surgery Center. Dr. Khoruts reports a 90 percent success rate for curing patients of this infection with one transplant; the remaining 10 percent of patients are cured after a second transplant.
Make an appointment
We can help you feel better. Start by making an appointment with one of our gastroenterologists at Fairview Maple Grove Medical Center by calling 763-898-1000.

Care Team


Intestinal Transplant Medicine

Liver Transplant Medicine

Pediatric Gastroenterology

Pediatric Inflammatory Bowel Disease

Pediatric Islet Transplant Medicine

Pediatric Liver Transplant Medicine

Our Providers Make the Difference
Fairview features nearly 4,000 providers practicing at over 200 locations throughout the Minneapolis/St. Paul metro area and beyond. Fairview Clinics, University of Minnesota Physicians and our independent partner clinics provide an exceptional care experience, while lowering the overall costs of health care.

Unique transplant helps woman overcome a dangerous infection

Carol is a busy Twin Cities Realtor, artist, gardener and skilled seamstress. She acquired an infection called clostridium difficile, a bacterial infection in the colon, following a hospital stay related to diverticulitis. 

Also called C. diff, this infection can be life-threatening and is extremely difficult to treat. After a course of antibiotics to treat the original abscess of her colon, Carol’s colon was overwhelmed with C-diff and she ended up back in the hospital. Carol then completed a round of a strong antibiotic called vancomycin to treat the infection, only to have it recur 10 days later. This cycle repeated itself three times. 

Unable to predict when she would experience diarrhea and vomiting, Carol took a medical leave from work. “As a realtor, I have to be available for my clients, and I simply couldn't guarantee I could be there. It was difficult, too, in that I looked fine, but felt terrible, and this really is not a condition you want to share with everyone.”

Carol quickly lost 25 pounds and her vibrant energy. She spent the summer close to home and missed out on a lot of activities. Without health insurance, the cost of her treatment quickly added up. Carol paid $1,400 for each series of antibiotics. On her third round, she learned of a liquid version of the medicine that is much cheaper, but difficult to find. 

Finding the right treatment and doctor changes everything
During her fourth cycle of treatment, her doctor suggested a new therapy - a fecal transplant. Carol didn't hesitate. “I could not stand being ill any longer and was eager to try something with a better success rate.”

Carol was referred to Alexander Khoruts, MD, a gastroenterologist at Fairview Maple Grove Medical Center. He's performed more than 150 fecal transplants and found 90 percent of his patients require just one transplant to cure them of C. diff.

As soon as she had her transplant, Carol says she felt better. It took a couple of months, but Carol regained her energy, got back to work and most importantly – back to enjoying life again.

Make an appointment
If you are interested in an appointment with Dr. Khoruts, or any of our gastroenterologists, call 763-898-1000.
 Visit Other Fairview Sites 
(c) 2012 Fairview Health Services. All rights reserved.