Specialized breast care to meet your needs
As women age, changes in breast tissue can occur. Many of these changes are normal. Yet one in eight women will be diagnosed with breast cancer in her lifetime. Fairview Northland Medical Center offers complete care for breast health, from screenings to cancer treatment close to home.
We understand the sensitive and significant nature of breast health. And we strive to make your experience as comfortable and convenient as possible.
Always call your doctor right away if you notice any of the following, as they could be a sign of breast cancer:
- Skin irritation or dimpling
- Nipple pain or the nipple turning inward
- Redness or scaliness of the nipple or breast skin
- Discharge (other than breast milk)
- A lump or swelling
We offer the following imaging and screening options.
- Mammography can detect breast cancer at an early stage, when treatment is more effective and cure is more likely. A mammogram can find a lump as small as a pencil eraser – most people cannot feel a lump until it’s the size of a quarter. We use digital mammography to produce the clearest images.
- Screening mammograms, recommended annually after age 40, do not need a referral from your doctor. The screening typically takes 10 to 15 minutes to perform.
- Diagnostic mammograms are for men and women who have any of the symptoms mentioned above or a history of breast cancer. A referral from your doctor is needed. Diagnostic results are available immediately.
- Breast ultrasound uses sound waves to make a picture of the inside of the breast. It can show all parts of the breast and doesn't use X-rays. Breast ultrasounds are used to check abnormal mammogram results, look at dense tissue, and watch for changes in a cyst or to see if a lump is fluid-filled or solid.
- MRI is usually performed when your doctor needs more information than what a mammogram can provide. A breast MRI captures multiple pictures of your breast to generate a very detailed image.
- Breast biopsies test abnormal tissue in your breast to find out the cause of a lump or breast problem. We offer fine-needle aspirations, ultrasound-guided, core-needle biopsies and surgical biopsies.
Early detection and treatment is proven to save lives. Call 763-389-6442 to schedule a mammogram.