Early detection and prevention of vascular disease saves lives and improves quality of life. Artery disease is often silent and, without symptoms, plaque can narrow or weaken arteries.
Screening can help you avoid:
- Heart attack
- Pain in legs and loss of legs
- Ruptured aneurysm
Fairview offers vascular disease screening in a nationally accredited vascular lab. All tests are performed non-invasively (no needles), painlessly and quickly (less than an hour for the complete screening package). You’ll also receive artery disease education material.
Who should be screened?
Individuals with the following risk factors:
- High cholesterol
- High blood pressure
- Sedentary lifestyle
Those with a family history of:
- Abdominal aortic aneurysm
- Heart or vascular disease
Diagnosing a vascular disease may involve a number of things – including learning your family history, discussing your symptoms, risk factors and medications. A number of diagnostic tests – from checking the pulse in your leg arteries to sophisticated imaging – provide your doctor a full-picture of your cardiovascular health.
Diagnostic testing may include:
- Blood pressure and pulse checks in your limbs, often called ankle-brachial index
- Ultrasound exams to view blood flow in arteries and veins
- Treadmill test to show severity of symptoms, for example, with PAD
- Arteriogram – an imaging X-ray that can show location, type and extent of blockage in an artery
For more information, please call 855-FAIRVIEW (324-7843).