If so you may have restless leg syndrome (RLS). Anywhere from 5 to 10 percent of the population experiences an urge to move their legs that gets worse at night. Often, it is accompanied by uncomfortable sensations in the legs that get worse when resting, lying down or sitting.
A sleep study at a Fairview Sleep Center may help determine the severity of your RLS. A Fairview sleep specialist may offer several treatment options for RLS.
Lifestyle management of RLS
- practice good sleep habits
- avoid stress, fatigue, and sleep deprivation
- take a hot bath or massage at bedtime
- consider a brief period of moderate exercise before bedtime
Factors for you and your doctor to consider when treating RLS with medication
- Do you have an underlying disorder that might cause or aggravate RLS?
- What time of day do your symptoms occur and how long do they last?
- Is your RLS painful or uncomfortable?
- How severe is your RLS?