At Fairview Southdale Hospital, volunteers are a big part of our health care team, contributing thousands of hours annually to patients and their families. Volunteers enhance the hospital experience for all who come to the hospital and help staff to provide an exceptional health care experience.
Benefits of volunteering
People of all ages volunteer for many reasons. Most agree that a major benefit is the satisfaction that comes from helping others and giving back to the community in a meaningful way. Volunteering also offers other rewards – new friends, new opportunities to explore potential careers as well as new or improved skills.
When you volunteer at Fairview Southdale Hospital, you receive:
- Free ramp parking
- Meal allowance
- Discounts at the Gift Shop and Fairview Pharmacy
- Discounts on entertainment tickets
- Access to our health sciences library
- Opportunity to attend certain workshops, health screenings and more
Become a volunteer
We offer volunteer placement in a variety of areas based on your interests and abilities. Day, evening and weekend opportunities are available to volunteers age 14 and older.
While placement availability can change, examples include:
- Working with patients and families
- Delivery of medical supplies, flowers and mail
- STEP Force (Speedy Transport Escort Personnel)
- Hand massage
- Coffee cart
- Patient care departments
- Eye center
- Same day surgery
- Emergency department
- Support services
- Welcome desks
- Gift shop
- Library services
Adult volunteers generally commit to the same four-hour shift on the same day each week, for a minimum of six months. An after-school high school volunteer program offers teenagers the chance to explore a health care career and develop new skills.
To become a volunteer
- Submit an application
- Print out two copies of the reference sheet and mail to your references
- We must have received at least one reference before you will be called for an interview
- Interview with our Volunteer Services staff
- Commit to a minimum of six months of service, for four hours weekly or the equivalent of 100 hours
- Complete a simple health screening and background check as required by law
- Attend a general hospital orientation
- Receive on-the-job training and education by experienced volunteers
Directions to the volunteer office
From the East ramp, go to the lower level and take the tunnel toward the hospital. Once inside the hospital, the Volunteer Services office will be on your left.