Thank you for your interest in volunteering at Fairview Lakes Medical Center. Volunteering is a wonderful way for you to help others, meet new people, and become familiar with a hospital setting. Volunteers serve as valued members of the health care team. They enhance the patient and family experience by meeting specific needs of patients. In 2011, our 380 volunteers served 43,459 hours assisting patients and staff at Fairview Lakes Medical Center.
Interested in volunteering?
To apply online, see "How do I become a volunteer?" under Frequently Asked Questions. For additional information call 651-982-7774.
- Serving others and the community
- Exploring careers in health care
- Making new friends
- Way-finding and hospitality for patients, families and visitors
- Visits to patients
- Cashiering in the gift shop
- Valet parking
- Hand massage
- Pet therapy
- Help with special events and activities onsite and in the community
- Clerical and project support
How do I become a volunteer?
- Submit an online application or request an application packet by contacting any of the volunteer services staff.
- Include two references with your application using either the Student Reference Form or Adult Reference Form.
- Students under the age of 18 should complete and submit the parental permission form.
- Submit MN Department of Human Services background study form with your application.
- Complete an initial screening interview.
- Attend new volunteer orientation and get medical clearance by our Employee Occupational Health Services (EOHS)
How long until I start volunteering?
The application/screening process takes three to four weeks.
Students who want to begin volunteering in early June should apply in April. Minimum age to volunteer is 14.
Placement is based on volunteer availability, interest and department openings.
Are there costs involved?
Students under 18 must get immunization records and tuberculosis screening (Mantoux test) through their own health care provider or community clinic. Fees may apply. Contact Volunteer Services for more information on medical clearance requirements. Adults needing varicella (chicken pox) vaccine, as determined by EOHS, complete this requirement through their own health care provider or community clinic. Fees may apply.
Volunteers may purchase their own uniform ($16-25)
What volunteer jobs are available?
To review job descriptions visit the Opportunity Directory.
Volunteers can serve in more than one department.
Log on to your VICNet account: VICNet access
Fairview Lakes Medical Center
5200 Fairview Blvd.
Wyoming, MN 55092
- One or two shifts of departmental-level training and education with an experienced volunteer
- An annual in-service training workshop every fall
- Additional training periodically at scheduled department meetings
- A typical volunteer works four hours weekly. Every-other-week options are available.
- Typical shifts are 8 a.m.-noon, noon- 4 p.m.; and 4-8 p.m.
- The minimum service requirement is six months.
- Meal vouchers to use in the Sunset Café on the day you volunteer
- Discounts at the Fairview Pharmacy
- The chance to attend health-related programs or to use exercise equipment in Rehabilitation Services.
- Discounts on sports and entertainment tickets through WorkPerks
- A free membership in the Fairview Lakes Auxiliary (for volunteers over age 21)
- Eligible Fairview Lakes student volunteers can apply for the Donna Mathias Student Services Award, a $500 or $1,000 stipend for post-secondary training or education.