Benefits of Volunteering
Volunteering at Fairview Lakes Medical Center in Wyoming, Minnesota offers rewards which may include:
- Meal vouchers
- Fairview Pharmacy discounts
- Eligible Fairview Lakes student volunteers can apply for the Donna Mathias Student Services Award, a $500 or $1,000 stipend for post-secondary training or education.
- Use of exercise equipment in Rehabilitation Services
- Free Fairview Lakes Auxiliary membership (for volunteers over 21 years old).
1. Submit an online application or request an application packet.
2. Provide two references with your application. (Note: References are different for adults and juniors).
3. Volunteers under the age of 18 should complete and submit the parental permission form.
4. Submit a MN Department of Human Services background study for with your application.
5. Complete a screening interview.
6. Attend new volunteer orientation and get medical clearance by Employee Occupational Health Services (EOHS).
Adult Reference Form
Student Reference Form
Parental Permission Form
MN Department of Human Services background study form
1. How long does the volunteer application process typically take?
The application and screening process typically takes three to four weeks. Students who wish to begin volunteering in early June should apply in April. The minimum age to volunteer is 14.
2. What is volunteer training?
Volunteer training is offered two ways: general orientation or online learning. General orientation sessions are scheduled monthly. Once placed, new volunteers receive specific department training from staff or experienced volunteers.
3. Are there costs involved?
Students under 18 must get immunization records and tuberculosis screening (Mantoux test) through their own health care provider or community clinic. Fees may apply. Contact Volunteer Services for more information on medical clearance requirements. Adults needing varicella (chicken pox) vaccine, as determined by EOHS, complete this requirement through their own health care provider or community clinic. Fees may apply. Volunteers may purchase their own uniform ($16-25)
4. Do I need medical experience or training?
No, all the training you will need is provided. Participation in periodic department meeting and completion of annual required learning are needed to maintain active status.
5. What volunteer positions are available?
To review job descriptions visit the Opportunity Directory. Volunteers can serve in more than one department.
6. Do I have to volunteer a minimum of hours?
A typical volunteer works four hours weekly and 8-16 monthly. Every-other week options are available. Typical shifts are 8:00 a.m. – noon or 4:00-8:00 p.m. The minimum service requirement is six months.
7. Where can current volunteers access VicNet?
Log on to your VicNet account: Access VicNet.
8. How do I contact volunteer services at Fairview Lakes Medical Center?
For additional information call (612) 982-7774.