Begin your nursing career with our summer nursing internship program
*Internship positions for summer 2014 have been filled. BSN nursing students entering their junior year next fall should check back Nov. 1 for the summer 2015 application.
Fairview's Summer Nursing Student Internship program provides an individualized educational experience at either Fairview Southdale Hospital in Edina, Minn., Fairview Ridges Hospital in Burnsville, Minn. or University of Minnesota Medical Center in Minneapolis. The program is tailored to your nursing career goals.
As a nurse intern, you will be mentored one-on-one with registered nurses to gain hands-on nursing experience. Our program provides opportunities to enhance your technical, critical thinking and interpersonal skills in an acute care environment.
There's so much to gain
- Real-world experience under the consistent guidance of RN mentors
- Hands-on experience in a variety of areas, including patient assessment, intervention and care planning
- Opportunities to work with nurses and other health care professionals in a variety of roles and patient care settings
- Multiple “day of learning” opportunities in classroom environments
- Opportunities to increase self confidence in patient care
- Opportunities to explore nursing care in other departments
- Preferential status for employment upon graduation
Successful applicants to our internship programs:
- have completed junior year in a baccalaureate nursing program
- have at least a 3.0 GPA
- are able to work a minimum of 48 to 64 hours per pay period (every two weeks) in variable shifts (total of 240 to 320 hours)
- are able to work for 10 weeks during the summer beginning early June to early August
- provide two nursing-faculty references with at least one from a clinical instructor
Selected applicants must enroll in a Minnesota college or university internship course and have paid any associated tuition costs or fees before beginning the internship.
The Minnesota Nurse Practice Act requires nursing student interns be enrolled in a nursing program whenever performing nursing functions. Because the foundation of our internship program is RN-mentored clinical experience, we can only extend offers to candidates who are willing to enroll in a Minnesota school’s internship course and pay any associated tuition costs or fees. The nursing program must have an affiliation agreement with Fairview. Please discuss this with your school faculty and contact us if you have questions.
The state Board of Nursing of Minnesota, through the Nurse Practice Act Regulations, has approved the skills list from which nursing students in internship programs can practice with direct supervision of RN mentors.
Learn more about our nursing internship program and the selection process in our frequently asked questions.
When we are accepting applications, you can apply using our online e-form. Further instructions will be posted here during the next application period beginning Nov. 1, 2014.
Applicants must submit:
- A completed application
- Current resume (containing information about your education, employment, community service, awards and recognition and leadership experience from the past five years)
- Current transcript (can be unofficial)
- Two references, using the generic reference form
- Faculty may also provide letters of recommendation (not required)
All attachments should be in a Microsoft Word or PDF format.
Bill Johnson, RN
Nursing Workforce Development Consultant
Fairview Health Services
2344 Energy Park Drive
St. Paul, MN 55108