Clinics receive grants from Fairview Physician Associates
Medical clinics across the Twin Cities metro area received eight grants totaling nearly $53,000 to support patient care innovation. Clinics received varying amounts up to a maximum of $10,000.
Funding is part of an annual grant program offered to member clinics by Fairview Physician Associates (FPA) to improve clinical quality and efficiency as well as the patient experience.
“Through our small grant program and other tools, we aim to help member clinics achieve our triple aim of exceptional patient care and patient and family experience, while holding down total cost of care,” says William Nersesian, MD, FPA chief medical officer.
A wide range of projects
Recipients and projects include:
- Advancements in Allergy and Asthma Care, Minnetonka: To determine whether or not patient education improves emergency action plan compliance, thereby decreasing poor health outcomes associated with serious allergic reactions.
- Colon & Rectal Surgery Associates, locations in Burnsville, Coon Rapids, Edina, Minneapolis, Plymouth, and St. Paul: Examine why patients who have undergone colorectal abdominal surgery have had to be readmitted to the hospital and use that learning to reduce readmissions rates.
- Fairview Clinics – Eagan: Reduce the number of mothers who stop breastfeeding early by providing a supportive community of mothers and infants, with help from a nurse practitioner and a lactation consultant.
- Fairview Clinics – Integrated Primary Care Clinic, Minneapolis: Help patients quit smoking using hypnosis sessions.
- InterMed Consultants, Edina: Collaborate with University of Minnesota Physicians and primary care providers to manage and reduce anemia-related illness, to improve patients' quality of life.
- Obstetrics & Gynecology Associates, comprised of Associates in Women’s Health, Diamond Women's Center, Obstetrics, Gynecology & Infertility, and Obgyn Specialists, all with locations in Edina: Educate clinic staff and change clinic processes to increase the number of patients ages 55 and older who have prepared health care directives.
- Partners Obstetrics and Gynecology, PA, Maplewood: Monitor and compare the effectiveness of nutritional counseling and food journaling in overweight and obese pregnant women.
- Twin Cities Orthopedics, locations in Bloomington, Burnsville, Chanhassen, Coon Rapids, Eden Prairie, Edina, Maple Grove, Minneapolis, New Prague, Otsego, Plymouth, Robbinsdale, Shakopee, Waconia, and Wayzata: Expand an existing Web-base Virtual Clinic project to help reduce emergency room visits and youth sports injuries in Minnesota.
Results shared to spread improvements and innovations
Clinics that receive FPA grant funding also must contribute funds or in-kind services, such as staff time, to support their projects and provide data to demonstrate success. FPA shares project results with member clinics to help spread clinical quality improvement and care innovation.
Fairview Physician Associates (FPA) is a provider-led nonprofit of 2,000 health care providers and nearly 400 primary and specialty clinic locations. Member practices are independent, owned by Fairview Health Services or affiliated with the University of Minnesota. FPA works to advance exceptional clinical care and patient experience, as well as cost-effective care.