Groundbreaking held for new specialty care center and expansion at Fairview Ridges Hospital
Fairview employees joined with members of the community today to break ground on a state-of-the-art specialty care center and hospital expansion at Fairview Ridges Hospital in Burnsville.
Because of a torrential downpour, the ceremony was moved inside to the hospital cafeteria.
“I know it’s raining, but for me, the sun is shining,” said Burnsville Mayor Elizabeth Kautz.
“We are excited that Fairview Ridges Hospital, which is ranked in the top 5 percent nationwide in clinical excellence, is now adding more value to health care south of the river," she added. "We are proud.”
Shari Prest, chairwoman of the Fairview Ridges Hospital board of directors, said, “We thank the community for their support and generosity, for making Ridges all it can be—not just a great place to receive health care, but a welcoming place.”
Expanding to meet community health care needs
Fairview Ridges Hospital opened in 1984 and provides the most advanced care available in the Twin Cities south of the Minnesota River.
The communities served by the hospital are among the fastest-growing in the region and this expansion project is needed to meet growing and changing health care needs in the years ahead.
Scheduled to be completed in fall 2014, the new 133,000-square-foot specialty care center includes these features:
- Cancer Center— with space for additional physicians and staff to provide chemotherapy, diagnostics and care management in one patient-friendly setting.
- Heart Center—this new location will allow additional cardiologists to join our campus and expand our capacity to meet a full complement of heart care needs.
- Orthopedic/Spine Center—will enable us to extend our capabilities in orthopedic and spine care, sports medicine, pain management and chiropractic services.
- Same Day Surgery Center and Endoscopy Center—will help us meet the growing need for minimally-invasive surgeries provided on an outpatient basis and for endoscopic screening and treatment.
- Imaging Center—an easily accessible, patient-friendly environment for MRI, CT and other imaging.
- Pharmacy—a convenient, on-site retail pharmacy for patients and others.
- Cardiac rehabilitation—a place where people who’ve had a heart attack, heart surgery or other heart problems can receive help in their recovery.
- Fairview Home Medical Equipment store—providing easy access to durable medical equipment.
- Parking ramp—with free patient parking.
The specialty care center will enable us to consolidate musculoskeletal services now housed in three buildings around the Fairview Ridges campus, including Fairview Sports and Orthopedic Care, the Institute for Athletic Medicine, Fairview Pain Clinic and orthopedic surgeons, as well as chiropractic, orthotic and prosthetic services.
Improvements to the hospital
In addition to the new specialty care center, this project features numerous improvements to the existing hospital. Key features include:
- Orthopedic and Spine Unit—a newly renovated space on the hospital’s sixth floor provides an enhanced patient experience and features a physical therapy gym.
- Pediatric Unit—a remodeled and expanded pediatric unit with larger patient rooms will provide a more patient- and family-friendly environment for infants, toddlers, children and teens requiring hospital care.
- Observation and Outpatient Unit—this new space on the hospital’s second floor will enable us to provide observation and care to patients who are too sick to go home, but who do not need an inpatient hospital stay, freeing up inpatient hospital beds for those who need them most.
- Laboratory—expanding lab capabilities will help us keep pace with the growing need for fast access to lab results. The new lab will be 30 percent larger than what currently exists.
- First floor addition—will include a new entryway and a corridor for accessing the skyway to the new specialty care center.
“I’m really honored to work for an organization that strives to provide a consistently amazing experience for patients, and I’m proud to be a part of this community,” said Beth Krehbiel, Fairview Ridges Hospital president.
Philanthropy will play an important role in this expansion project and will help ensure Fairview Ridges Hospital remains a leading-edge health care facility.
Track our progress
You can track the progress of this project and see the construction in real time with the expansion webcam.